Friday, March 8, 2013

Still Here!

I've been a very bad girl, ignoring this blog for the past nine months. I'm still here though, and I'm still writing--it's just that I've been so busy (yes, that non-excuse excuse) with teaching classes and travelling about, that the blog kind of took a back seat.  Plus, I've been concentrating my writing these past months into a full-length manuscript of China-specific poems, and haven't been willing to break them up and send them out for publication--it's such a cohesive thing, you know?  Anyway, I'm back now, and I'll try to keep this thing updated!

Speaking of travelling, I've visited some amazing places recently, and had some wild adventures.  Last summer, Gerard and I toured through China's Yunnan Province with our backpacks, and even hiked into a remote village in the Eastern Himalayas, along the border with Tibet.  We even went to Shangri La, which I fell deeply in love with, and actually consider to be "the home of my soul".  We've been to Thailand, gone into the Golden Triangle, and even popped into Laos. I've ridden an elephant, fed wild monkeys, been cormorant fishing, scaled some incredibly high mountains, gotten a bamboo tattoo, wandered around gold-encrusted Buddhist temples, gone midnight skinnydipping in the Andaman Sea, and battled food poisoning, among other things.  This June, we'll be heading West--to Scotland, Italy, and Turkey--before returning to China.  All of these experiences are what fuels my writing, so I'm grateful for all that life has served up of late!  I thought I'd share some photos here, of some of the travel highlights of the last nine months.  You can view the entire slideshow I put together, here:


Ah, it's good to be back... 


With some cute local kids.  Baishui Tai, Yunnan, China.


At the Three Pagodas.  Dali, Yunnan, China.


Window frame.  Dali, Yunnan, China.


Amid the prayer flags.  Songzanlin Monastery, Shangri La, China.


Elephant safari.  Chiang Mai, Thailand.


Beautiful Wat Rong Khun.  Chiang Rai, Thailand.


Happy Monk.  Wat Pho, Bangkok, Thailand.



Along the Chao Phraya River.  Bangkok, Thailand.


Contemplative monkey.  Railay, Thailand.


Sunset.  Railay, Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment